Thursday 11 November 2010

Pall Mall Barbers, West End London (Part 2)

The last customer has accepted some Matt Mudd product, smiled his appreciation as he is shown the back of his head with the use of the mirror, paid and headed out the door. A quick wipe down and sweep of the floor and the work for the day is done. Unfortunately the weather means I have to don multiple layers before heading into the already dark evening. I’m not going straight home however as I’m meeting my fiancée for a meal out. That’s the fun of London; you can spoil yourself with a meal out for no reason beyond the dubious statement that “you deserve it”. facebook PMB

I do however have some time to kill before our rendezvous so what better to do than stroll to Trafalgar Square? Ever since I moved to London in 1999 I’ve found myself drawn to Trafalgar Square like a moth to the flame. I don’t know whether it’s the central location, or its history and magnificence, that have made me such a regular visitor over the years. But when I stand there by the lion sculptures and look up at Lord Nelson, I always think about all those people in history who have walked past the columns and statues; all the nationalities, fashions and hairstyles that have graced this landmark. Sorry, getting a little philosophical here. So what do I know about Trafalgar Square? Well I do know that when the statue of Nelson was erected, people thought it had an uncanny resemblance to Napoleon and joked that he had finally succeeded in his ambition to rule over Britain. I also know that if you’re in the area and it’s raining, then dry and culturally fascinating destinations are the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, which are literally next to Pall Mall Barbers. They have a suggested donation but essentially you can look at some of the world’s best art for free, though it would be tight not to drop a couple of quid in the collection pot…
 It’s a bit too late tonight for me to look at the exhibitions in the gallery so I’m heading west across the square, through Admiralty Arch, for St. James’ Park. It’s probably my favourite park in London. It’s not the biggest but it’s probably the prettiest, with its lake and fowl. One of my fondest memories of the summer gone is taking my lunch to eat in the park and seeing a group of female office workers mugged for their sandwiches by a marauding pelican. They were busy chatting away and were completely unaware of the waddling overgrown seagull heading their way until the last moment when it stretched its wings wide above them and then it was too late. The ladies scrambled away to the safety of Horse Guards’ Parade and the pelican very calmly tucked into their prêt a manger baguettes. At this time of the evening it’s hard to make out the birds on the water but they are being particularly vocal, which is strangely comforting.

 Horse Guards’ Parade is also now dark and fairly deserted, with the London Eye towering behind it, which tonight is lit in sapphire blue but I’m sure, come the London 2012 Olympic Games, the parade ground will match the Eye’s brilliance, as it hosts the Beach Volleyball. I doubt the volleyball competition has ever had such a magnificent setting. I’m sure Rich will be purchasing his tickets for the event and I’m sure it’ll be to admire the view… PMBwww.pallmallbarbers.com

 One area which is well lit with floodlights this evening is Big Ben, which can be seen towering in the corner of the park just behind the roofs of the Foreign Office. Here’s my next bit of trivia for all you tourists out there. Big Ben is actually the name of the bell inside the tower, not the tower itself. It’s in this direction that I’m heading now as I’ll be meeting my fiancée in ten minutes at Westminster Tube station. I always feel it’s a shame that Parliament Square has become such a monstrous roundabout. It’s so easy to miss the great statues around the square, including those of Winston Churchill and Nelson Mandela, both of which have captured their owners’ personae brilliantly. Now, as ever, it’s a case of dodge the cars, ignore the protesters and wonder how many tourists’ photos I’ve accidentally wandered into as I head through the Square to the tube station.

And now I must leave you, as my fiancée and I are heading south over the bridge to stroll along the South Bank. We don’t know where we’ll be eating; we’re spoilt for choice and what better pastime than to wander the streets of London. It’s good sometimes to spend an evening attempting to look at the West End with “fresh eyes”. This evening has been all about London’s majesty and history. Part three will see me head back into the heart of the West End and to the neighbourhood that never sleeps. It houses bars, pubs and even coffee shops that will happily serve you during the early hours of the morning – the one and only Soho, where flamboyance never takes it easy and puts its feet up! PALLMALLBARBERS facebook

Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.

No comments:

Post a Comment