Friday 3 December 2010

The Sparkling Christmas Lights Surrounding PMB

Two years ago I had some friends from Toronto come visit me in London. It was the build up to Christmas and so all the London Christmas lights were lit, the festive ice rinks were erected and the jovial fairs dotted the Central London map like a cheerful noel rash. By day two of my friends’ trip they asked me why anyone would want to visit their city when London has so much more to offer. Now I think they were a little harsh on their hometown. I am, after all, a huge fan of Toronto, having lived there in my youth, but I understand their point; London at the best of times is a class apart, but at Christmas time it transcends a world city and becomes a magical one. And what can I say but Pall Mall Barbers sits at the centre of this colourful, festive kingdom.
So it’s a Sunday afternoon and I’m in the shop working on the office side of things. Don’t worry and don’t get angry with Scrooge McRich, I’ve chosen to get a head start on this week’s chores and there’s a lovely peace to the shop when it’s closed and quiet. I’ve also chosen to head into town today as I need to do a spot of Christmas shopping before the serious Advent rush kicks in. It’s also my first proper opportunity to do a tour of the Christmas Lights of the West End. My favourite have always been in Carnaby Street as they have some fun with theirs, so I’m keen to take a look at them, but there’s also Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street and Marylebone High Street to check out.

So from the shop it’s the well trodden journey up through Leicester Square and then the ever flashing lights of Piccadilly Circus, which in all honesty gives off the feeling of Christmas all year round! Despite it being a dark and gloomy Sunday afternoon, it’s heaving with tourists and shoppers alike. The great thing about shopping for Christmas now is that it feels festive without having the dreaded deadline hovering over your head and with this happy feeling bubbling within me, I courteously skirt around the tourists taking photos of their loved ones in front of the neon skyline and head to Regent Street. Then in one foul flicker, all my Christmas cheer is dissipated. The wonderful cobweb- like stars that hang from the majestic buildings of Regent Street have been intermixed with the most brash and “chavy” publicity decorations of some tacky Christmas film. Why Regent Street? Why do you debase yourself so? Surely a street of such history and prosperity does not need to pimp itself out to the world of PR? And so with a heavy tread Good King Wenceslas would be proud of, I troop up Regent Street towards the shopping Mecca of London, Oxford Street.

It is a sign of the economic times that Oxford Street this year did not have a celebrity to turn on their lights but an anonymous man in a hard hat and high visibility jacket. In these modern days though we might well see him appear on “I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here”, his claim to fame being that he got to turn the lights on in the West End… So after my shock at Regent Street’s poor

showing I’m not expecting much from Oxford Street, so am genuinely pleased to see that the street and the big department stores have put a great coordinated effort into lighting up the street in classy yet fun decorations. So with reaffirmed determination I’m lost amongst the shops’ stocking fillers, wrapping paper and festive nick -nacks and so able to rediscover the true joy of Christmas – Materialism!

And so my shopping spree comes to a close, but I have one more journey to make. It’s down Bond Street, not in search of a Christmas gift, - chance would be a fine thing, as the shops on this particular street don’t cater for those on Barber Shop salaries. I’m not coming down Bond Street particularly to look at the decorations either, though the shops have put on a rather classy display. Would you expect anything less from Cartier, Tiffany, Gucci and the like? No, I’m heading down Bond Street because at the end of this road I need to turn right and head to The Ritz. I’m a sentimental old duffer and it’s getting worse with age, but it was here that I proposed to my girlfriend almost a year ago and I know from experience that the Ritz will look spectacular at this time of year. And now I’ve remembered the genuine meaning of Christmas…

Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.Wet Shaving LondonWet Shave London, Shaving LondonShave LondonMens Shave LondonMens Shaving LondonLuxury shave setLuxury shaving Londonshave Gift vouchers LondonShaving Gifts LondonShaving Products LondonMens shaving LondonCut Throat Shave LondonCut throat shaving LondonShaving Brushes,Straight Razor LondonShaving LondonShave LondonWet Shaving LondonShave Gifts LondonShaving Gift Vouchers London.

No comments:

Post a Comment